Journeys & Writings of Paul

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Blessed and broken

I don't know about you, but I definitely go through certain periods of my life where I just feel so incredibly blessed. And it's not necessarily just during the best of times either. I don't really have much to complain about, I live quite comfortably, but everyone has their share of rough patches in life; big or small, rough is rough! Life doesn't have to be a peeing contest where we try to settle who has it worse off. Let's just love each other through the messiness.

The thing that I love about those rough patches is that God is so present there. I have come to realize through prayer, Scripture, and just living and interacting with others some deep issues that are inhibiting my growth as an individual. Working through these inhibitors has been painful, enlightening, freeing, and not without a fair share of tears.

The Lord is so patient with me and I thank him often for not giving up on his work in progress.

I have been especially blessed by Scripture lately. It seems that no matter what page I open to in my Bible lately I have just been so blessed by the words and they target my heart in just the right way. God is so wonderful in that way.

This goes for prayer as well. I don't really know what it is, but certain times more than others it just feels like I am known, heard, understood, and that my prayers will be answered. Even at those times when I have a lack for words, I feel like my heart is connecting with the heart of God. Lately my prayers have devolved to, "Lord help me." And he does. Daily.

There are an overwhelming number of verses that deal with the Lord hearing cries for mercy and answering them.

                Psalm 116:1-6
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice;
  he heard my cry for mercy.
Because he turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.

The cords of death entangled me,
  the anguish of the grave came over me;

I was overcome by distress and sorrow.
Then I called on the name of the LORD:
   “LORD, save me!”

The LORD is gracious and righteous;
  our God is full of compassion.
 
The LORD protects the unwary;
  when I was brought low, he saved me.

Return to your rest, my soul,
  for the LORD has been good to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment